July 27, Marcia Bjornerud who grew up in Downsville, will talk about her new book Timefulness: How Thinking Like a Geologist Can Help Save the World. The book explains why an awareness of Earth’s temporal rhythms is critical to planetary survival and offers suggestions for how to create a more time-literate society. Bjornerud will also offer rock identification and answer geologic questions after her presentation.
July 18 Tomah educator Gayle Luebke, author of “There’s a Bug in My Bed” will be at the bookstore from 4-6 during Ladies Night Out.
June 14 Children’s author, The Resting Tree 10:30 AM
June 22 Jenny Knipfer, Elk Mound author of Ruby Moon at the bookstore during the Wine Walk, 5-8 PM
May 2, 12:30 – 2:00 Lopamudra Basu, Professor of English at UW-Stout will discuss her book and current issues raised in “Ayad Akhtar: The American Nation and Its Others After 9/11: Homeland Insecurity.” The book examines the works of Pulitzer award author Ayad Akhtar in the light of changing responses to Arabs and Muslim Americans after 9/11.
2019 Contest that goes with the Road Map for Midwest Independent Bookstores:
Pick up a Midwest Indie Bookstore Roadmap at the bookstore.
- Every bookstore is pictured with an image and signage –Bookends on Main is just about in the middle of the map.
- On the back cover of the map there are some details about a contest MIBA will be hosting to encourage folks to visit independent stores throughout the year.
- Customers take a selfie either in or in front of your store at any time over the course of the year.
- You post it to Twitter and tag (@midwestbooks) and our store. Every month, MIBA selects a photo at random to receive a $25 gift card to any store on the map.
- Next year on Independent Bookstore Day, MIBA will select another random photo to win a $500 gift card to any store on the map. (The more times customers post a photo, the more likely they are to win the grand prize!)
- If a winner chooses to receive a gift card in our store, MIBA will be in touch to purchase the gift card and arrange delivery.